September 24, 2010

Thinking Thin...now with recipes!

Grab the button and join in!

For me and Saul, one of the hardest parts of maintaining a healthy lifestyle is eating right. I typically work 55-hour weeks, and combined with his insane coaching schedule, it's pretty safe to say that we don't always eat dinner together at 6pm each night. I love cooking when both of us are home early enough to eat, which happens maybe 2 times a week, but I am decidedly less motivated to make a whole meal for myself on nights when Saul is with one of his teams until 10pm.

This leads to me heating something up, or making a sad little sandwich, or just picking something up on my way home. This, my friends I am convinced, is where my THIGHS came from.

Last night could have easily turned into one of those nights, but I decided to be good and make something healthy. So what if it was cold when Saul finally got home? We DO have a microwave. I didn't let the old excuses stop me.

It wasn't the best meal I've ever made, but it was light and included vegetables, protein and whole-wheat pasta, so I feel like it was fairly balanced. I am a sucker for pasta - have I mentioned that? LOOOOOVE it. I didn't take any photos because for some reason my head and my camera are just REALLY not connecting right now, meaning I completely forget to take my camera anywhere and I never take any pictures anymore. Sad, because the dish was actually kind of pretty.

Here's the recipe, if you're interested. I kind of just made it up as I went along, and I really never measure anything, so these are all total estimates...

Lemon Garlic Shrimp Pasta

Ingredients:
Whole-wheat thin spaghetti
About 2 tbs Olive Oil
1 large Lemon
1 small Yellow Onion
3 Garlic cloves
1/2 bag Baby Spinach (I would have used more, but this is all I had left)
About 1 lb Shrimp, peeled, tailed and deveined
White wine (you could use chicken broth for this, but I was drinking some wine, so I poured some in...heh)

Boil water for the pasta
While water is boiling, heat olive oil in a pan on medium
Dice up onion and garlic and throw it into the olive oil
- this creates one of my favorite smells in the world, fyi -
When onions are cooked through, pour in some wine or chicken broth, as well as the juice from the lemon
Let this reduce a bit
Water should be boiling by now, so drop in the pasta
Put the shrimp into the onion/garlic pan and cook it until it's opaque all the way through
When shrimp is about done, put spinach into the pan and let it wilt down
- I squeezed more lemon over the spinach to help it wilt and also because I really love lemon -
Drain pasta then pour shrimp/spinach pan over it
Toss to combine - there really shouldn't be any liquid left at this point
I zested the lemon over the top of my bowl, but fresh parmesan cheese would have been amazing on this, too.

Enjoy!


I'm late on this again, but whatever. I was too busy yesterday to post and then clearly I was doing amazing things in the kitchen last night.

Tonight we are going to a football game at the high school where Saul teaches. He has a bunch of the football players in one of his classes this year and they've been hassling him to come to a game. If you don't know about Texas high school football, just go watch Varsity Blues - I swear to God, it's pretty much exactly like that. I hope one of the players brings beer.

Happy Friday!!

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Ohh yummy! I'm definitely going to have to try this next week. Sounds great! I did a similar spin off it once, adding chicken instead of shrimp, and also red grape tomatoes cut in half.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...