March 18, 2008

Update

While SK is enjoying Spring Break (lucky jerk), our friends in Austin are enjoying SXSW (luckier jerks), and Houston is (not) enjoying the gross, cloudy, tornado-watch weather (BAHAHAHAHA Spring Breakers!), I am sitting inside at my desk, in my office.

Sigh.

Not that I want to be outside in the horrible weather, but being off for the week wouldn’t be so bad. And being in Austin listening to awesome live music would be fabulous. But, you know, WORK.

I am, however, taking Friday off.

Because I want to. So THERE.

And because if I don’t there is a really strong possibility that I MIGHT go a little insane and have a meltdown in my office. And no one wants to deal with my psychotic break. I am sure there would be screaming and crying and hair pulling –my own, don’t worry…I would be losing my mind, NOT my awareness of boundaries and personal space.

There has just been a lot going on. And I know my blog betrays my “stuff going on” thing because I don’t update regularly, and when I do I usually try to stay away from just telling you guys about the crap I am working on day to day, but SERIOUSLY I need to get it out. And because I like making lists and they are the quickest way to make me feel in control and safe again, this is what you get today.

1. Don’t fret—we are still in the middle of the house buying. I haven’t wanted to bore you all with the details of that because, quite frankly, they bore me. Also, until recently, there hasn’t been much to report. And since I am a little bit of a freak about jinxing things, I am going to stop the story there. OH THE SUSPENSE! I promise to update when I have solid news to divulge, but right now I am just too afraid to put it all down in writing for God and the Internet to see, for fear that in doing so I might somehow disrupt the delicate balance of the Circle of Life and everything we have been working for might just all go to shit.

2. Bella is doing well. She is almost 1, which really just blows me away. Not in the “oooohhhh she is growing up soooooo fast!” kind of way, but more in the “Jesus F’ing Christ, this dog is almost already 1 and we are JUST NOW celebrating her complete potty-training??” She has also officially moved on to the I Will Now Chew Everything You Own That You Love phase. We’re psyched. She has taken chunks out of the following household/personal items:

- SK’s Diesel shoe. The left one.

- My TLU flip flop. The right one.

- 2 pairs of my VS boyshort underwear.

- The power cord for my laptop.

- My Rubber tree. She ate the whole thing.

- Our papasan chair frame. It sits on the balcony, but really?

- Every single pair of socks we own.

The sock thing is kind of our fault—she snagged a sock one day while we were doing laundry and rather than snatch it away from her, we laughed and watched her throw it up in the air to herself in the living room. Bad us. Since then, we have been losing more and more socks and she is way over the tossing them playfully in the air thing. She has now graduated to shredding them. We finally realized we were fighting a losing battle—one that we helped to start—so we surrendered and emptied our sock drawers into her toy box and went and bought ourselves all new socks. She got one of SK’s new ones last week. I thought his head might explode.

3. I have had my first official Rodeo Houston experience. This is something that still irks me a bit to admit because I had definitely successfully avoided the rodeo for the last 9 years without ever even wanting to go check it out. This year, I caved. I went with Chandra and some other girlfriends last Friday night, when Clay Walker (who is he?) was playing. Some of my friends are on one of the committees, which mean they have badges that make them invincible on the Rodeo fairgrounds. Seriously. I have never in my life seen people look upon a badge with so much admiration. People COVET those badges. We walked from place to place inside the arena and when anyone saw the badge on Kacey’s belt, they stepped aside and invited us inside, or to sit down, or to hold and kiss their baby. I felt like part of an old western posse. We were Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp in Tombstone, in heels (which, by the way, was a bad idea…don’t wear heels to the Rodeo). Lots of beer was consumed, some calf-ropin’ was watched, and by the end of the night Chandra and I were so caught up in the Rodeo-ness of it all that we started talking to Kacey about being on a committee ourselves next year. Like I said, LOTS of beer was consumed.

4. SK and I went to Las Vegas! This actually happened over a month ago, during Valentine’s day weekend, but I have waited until now to mention it because I was embarrassed by the NO PICTURES I have to post. I lost our camera. Mom, PLEASE don’t make that face. I know this is the second digital camera in my life I have lost. I know. I suck and I am sorry. I do have one camera phone video of the Bellagio fountain show that I will post at a later date. When my phone decides to cooperate with me and hand over the video.

5. My mom had surgery. She is doing great. Thank you, and Amen.

6. Because my brother is the best brother in the history of all brothers, he has given me a $150 gift card to Express. Thanks, and I love you, Kevin!

There. That basically catches you all up. I am pretty much a stressed out mess right now, what with dealing with all the horrors that are Buying Your First House, but *hopefully* that will all be over soon. But, like I said, no jinxing that. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

KAREN! said...

i have so much to comment on that we should just get together when you're less stressed to chat! i have never been to the rodeo either, btw-- and i cant believe bella is 1 either! crazy. good luck with the socks- my girls have started taking my mom's pantyhose knee highs and dragging them all over the house (and when they get ahold of them in their claws, the rips are ridiculous)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...